Raising Litter Mates



Finally, the day has arrived. We are able to bring our two new black lab puppies home. Taro and Kratos are finally going to meet their new family. We are ready, everything is in place, all we need are the pups!!
Stephen and I have to meet our breeder at 1pm.

RSSSubscribe    Email me  Email Me
Saturday, April 10, 2010
welcome home boys.

We have our puppies, FINALLY. They are already a handful. They just went for another puppy nap, so I’m going to try to get all the pictures up before they get up and have to go out again. They weren’t kidding when they say “take your new puppy out every hour on the hour”. They are turning seven weeks tomorrow, so bladder control is not something I expect them to have.

We got them home about 2:00pm, and one at a time I cleaned them up (their first bath). They were well behaved. I had filled the tub up with a little bit of water and placed them in, they sorta walked around in it, and they drank out of it of course. They both fell asleep shortly after, wrapped in their towels, Kratos is Stephen’s arms and Taro fell asleep in my dad’s lap. I was too busy cleaning up the vomit Kratos left behind on his way home.

They played a lot. They were ripping around the house with plush toys in their mouths, playing tug -o-war with each other, pouncing on some cat toys that were laying around. They were having a great time.

We showed them where we would like them to go to the bathroom, they had a few successful pee’s in there, but most of it was on the grass. Kratos actually pooped in the box as well, we were pretty happy about that. Taro had a pee and poop inside the house, I think we just need to become more familiar with their “warning signs”.

I’m pretty exhausted ALREADY.. i’ll post some pics, and hopefully get to the editing of the video’s tomorrow.

Day Two: I didn’t get a chance to go through the videos yet, I am posting some pictures from yesterday.

Last night wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated. Taro was an little angel, he went into his kennel on his own and fell asleep. Kratos, however, was a different story, he was not keen at all about his kennel. He fussed all evening, all he wanted to do was sleep on the laminate floor. So we decided instead of forcing him into his kennel we would leave it open filled with toys and chew treats, and let him figure it out on his own. We blocked off an area close to us - and he fell asleep in the middle of the hallway! Finally, after his last pee break before bed, we had moved the kennel into our closet in our room, and put him in it ( with Taro who was already sleeping) and turned off all the lights, and he settled down until he had to pee again!

Taro slept pretty much through the night, at about 3am, when Kratos had to pee, I figured i should wake Taro up and take him out to do his business. They were both successful, and very playful at 3am! But rules are rules, so I put them back into their kennel with a few new toys to keep them busy, and they must have settled down quite quickly, because I actually slept for a few hours.

We had an early start this morning, 6am, they were making puppy noises. They both went out and did their business. We carry them out from their kennel to ensure that they do not pee or poop on the way out the back door, the less accidents they have the better results for housebreaking. They then had some playtime in the kitchen while I prepared their breakfast. My mom and dad are here as well, so my mom took Jordan out for a walk.

We are transitioning them to OUR schedule now, and so far they have been excellent. It’s about 1pm right now (Sunday) so it’s almost lunch time for them. I’ll get some pictures up, and hopefully videos later. We are taking Jordan swimming in a few hours, once the pups have eaten and played and eliminated.

Catch you at my next break!!

Previous Entry
six week old puppies

Next Entry
Settling In - Day Three

Copyright © Sheri DeGabriele 2010
All rights reserved.